Thursday, January 31, 2008

spin class and old knees

With a lot of hesitation, I joined Kelsey, one of my training partners (Melissa tried to get in, but the bikes were all taken -- it's a crazy dash for these classes), in a spin class. For those who don't know what that is, it's a workout class on stationary bikes. And, in this instance, I do not use the word "workout" loosely. It was HARD. I had heard they were torture, so I took it a little easy at first to save some energy for the rest of the class. We sprinted and climbed "hills" and did various maneuvers, including something that requires you to squat down (with your butt off the seat), pretend there is a book on your head, i.e., don't move your upper body, and keep pedaling. In a word, Ridiculous. In spite of my bad knees, which have been bothering me a lot lately, I actually kept up reasonably well and finished. For as much work as the class was, I haven't felt that victorious at the end of a workout for a long time. I actually feel like this triathlon training is progressing, and I just might be getting in better shape.

2 comments:

Joshua Nichols, MS, LMFT said...

Spinning is an excellent workout. I think a lot of guys are too prideful to do a spin class, maybe because it doesn't involve weights - I don't know. But, there is nothing easy about those 45 minutes and I agree, unlike many workouts, you leave with a sense of accomplishment. Keep it up Kellie.

Amanda said...

yeah i always feel like i'm awesomely in shape when i get thru a spin class! haha